Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Awakening

After setting up five different babysitters, packing two bags, carrying two cameras and flying 5,300 miles, Aaron and I made it to the land of schnitzel, strudel and spargel. Our lovely hostess for our trip to this beautiful German land was the one and only Megan Gillespie who's talent for seeking out 'eis' (ice cream) stands, is impeccable. Melissa's sister lives in Germany on a US Army post with her 4 darling kids and a man she likes to call Kev-ine lookin' fine. She was so gracious as to open her 'haus' to us and be our chauffeur while we explored Duetschland. We could hardly wait. But first, I thought I'd take a nap...the 'trying to stay awake for 24 hours' thing is much harder in my thirties versus what seemed to be a common occurrence in my college days...GO AGGIES. Imagine that.


Our first awakening to the tastes of Germany begin in Heidelberg, a quaint little town found in the southwestern region of Germany. The Neckar River runs through the middle of town with ruins of The Heidelberg Castle sitting to the east, aloft a hillside giving it's guests breathtaking views of red tile roofed houses and cathedrals of old. Breathing in the sweet air from atop a royal balcony, then losing ourselves in a village full of cobble stone, weathered shutters, blossoms and Christmas shops was a dream. Just my best friend and me.


So find yourself a mini, a bike, or just stroll through the day. A new world awaits to delight your senses. And when the film has run out and your wallet empty, fall in love with a piece of apple strudel under the shadow of a fortress.

Europe is to be understood at the pace of a poet, sitting at the corner cafe.


4 comments:

Heather said...

I am speechless, with the exception of a long SIGH! Maybe someday!!

Christie said...

You got some really great pics! Glad you could go and have such a wonderful time!

PS I didn't know your sis. was a red head.

Angela, Grady and Boys said...

wow...am I jealous or what!!??? That sounds and looks like it was an amazing trip! So glad you were able to do that! And way to go on the photography...simply awesome!!!

Unknown said...

Hmm. . . do I want you to post more of those pictures. I don't know. They make me so jealous.